In the framework of the EU funded SMAP III project "Promoting Awareness and Enabling a Policy Framework for Environment and Development Integration in the Mediterranean with Focus on Integrated Coastal Zone Management", PAP/RAC, together with its partners (the BP/RAC and METAP of the World Bank), is organising in collaboration with the Autonomous Region of Sardinia (Italy) a Mediterranean Workshop on Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM) Policy to be held in Alghero, Sardinia, on 19-21 May 2008.
The main objectives of the Workshop are the following:
- to provide insight in the latest coastal success stories and to reveal their factors of success;
- to agree on the necessary preconditions and to propose a set of most promising actions and tools for strengthening of the ICZM policy;
- to agree on the needed actions to assist countries in adoption of the ICZM Protocol; and
- to adopt the Sardinia Declaration in support of ICZM in the Mediterranean.
The workshop is organised under the auspices of the PAP/RAC appointed Ambassadors for the Coast:
- Her Royal Highness Princess Lalla Hasnaa of Morocco,
- Mr. Renato Soru, President of the Sardinia Region,
- Mr. Chérif Rahmani, Minister of Environment of Algeria, and
- Mr. Mostafa K. Tolba, Former Executive Director of UNEP.
Regional ICZM efforts have recently culminated when the Protocol on ICZM was signed by fourteen Mediterranean countries in Madrid, on 21 January 2008. All the parties are convinced that this Protocol is a crucial milestone in the history of the Mediterranean, and that it will allow the countries to better manage their coastal zones.